FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Farelock - Questions/Answers/Experiences {Archive}
Old May 20, 2016, 1:31 pm
karch

Programs: UA-Silver, HHonors-Gold, Marriott-Plat
FareLock - Price Changed During Ticketing on Reward Flight

I booked a reward ticket and used FareLock to lock in my choice so I could make some other travel arrangements. I booked CLE-MAD with a return of MAN-CLE. FareLock showed 180,000 miles plus roughly $155 for the 3 of us. United sent me 2 emails confirming these numbers.

Relying on this, I booked a non-refundable RyanAir flight from BCN-EDI. We are filling in the rest of the connections by train.

I then purchased my United reward flight. The next day, I received a United email that says that my reservation cannot be ticketed and to call 800-UNITED to resolve. The agent tells me that the taxes are roughly $400.

I called the United Silver desk Customer Care and and they both said they can't do anything, they are required to collect taxes (which I understand). I called RyanAir to see if I could cancel and add a BCN-MAN segment to United reward. The answer is no.

The Silver desk desk pointed me to Customer Care and vice-versa. I would have never bought the RyanAir segment had I known the taxes were $400. It would have been cheaper to add a United segment. Now, I'm out $250 because their FareLock was incorrect.

Anyone have any experience with this?