FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What's your choice for a long weekend in Chicago?
Old May 20, 2016, 6:58 am
BW0807

Originally Posted by callmedtop
I too have recently stayed at the Park Hyatt and I did enjoy my stay. They do have a policy of not upgrading to suites, strangely enough. I am a Diamond and booked a FHR rate, and was given a normal room (despite many suites available).

Quick story - probably one of my worst check-in experiences was at the PH last month (during the above mentioned stay). I inquired about a suite being available as a Diamond/FHR stay. I was just staying for the night but could have used the extra room. Didn't make a big deal out of it, but the agent was said she was able to locate a Park Suite. Then, after a few more keyboard taps, she said she had the bigger Gold Coast Suite, if I was able to wait for 15-30 minutes for it to be cleaned.

I agreed, and thanked her gratiously, and sat in the lobby for 20 minutes, until she came and found me. As she was giving me the new key, she casually informed me that my rate would be $400 higher per night. WHAT?! Can't believe she waited until this point to inform me of any upcharge, as it was clear by my question during check-in that I was looking for a complementary upgrade as part of Diamond/FHR benefits, and not more.

I did inform the manager later that night. She did offer me the Gold Coast Suite at no charge, as what happened was "against policy", but I politely declined, as I had already settled in. She did send me a hand-written note later that night, and gave me her contact information for my next stay, where I would be "given a proper upgrade."

Very strong service recovery from a poorly-trained front desk agent. I would return. I can very much agree with Valveking that the food is excellent. I greatly enjoyed both dinner and breakfast at NoMi, and the view is outstanding.
I wonder if this is common policy there, I recently had a similar experience where I turned up at just before 3pm and was told my room wasn't ready - but I could be upsold to a higher category and have it immediately. I was hung-over and it was only $40, not $400, so I took it - but was a little disappointed.

The rooms were solid and breakfast at NoMi was good, as above; though can't comment on the view - fog reduced visibility to near zero. (April 2016)