FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Swimming pool hygiene practices
View Single Post
Old May 18, 2016, 1:57 pm
CDTraveler

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
I am a former competitive swimmer and lifeguard and current parent of two competitive swimmers, one of whom also teaches and lifeguards at a private pool. Sometimes I think I've spent half my life at a pool.

Noone showers before getting in pools here. It's not done. I don't know why, but it is not.
My son started his swim career in California, and I, too, have spent a whole lot of hours on the deck.

VickiSoCal is right that showering before swimming is not the norm in California. School pools, Y pools, gym pools, public pools: never once saw a sign suggesting it.

When we moved to Pennsylvania, we found the pre-swim shower not only the norm but apparently also the law, which, admittedly is rather poorly enforced. His swim coaches required it (Y swim team) but the large apartment complex pool where he lifeguarded all last summer didn't even have a shower.

One obvious difference between the two areas is that almost all California pools are outdoors, receiving direct sunlight, and in Pennsylvania most pools are indoors. (properly maintained) Outdoor pools have always seemed cleaner to me.