FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DL applies for Haneda slots: ATL/LAX/MSP
View Single Post
Old May 18, 2016, 1:13 pm
RealHJ

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by ashill
Bogus argument. Of course there are places for which IAD or JFK is preferred (as an O&D airport), just like there are places for which HND is preferred. But in all three cities, for the majority of passengers, DCA, LGA, and HND are preferred. And I'm pretty sure you're smart enough to know that is what everyone else means.
Look at the population numbers in DC itself vs. Northern VA and the DC metro area of MD. Where is there more population? Where are there more company HQ and other offices located? So you are saying that the majority prefer an airport with heavy traffic and a longer, or at least slower drive away, vs. one with two dedicated highway lines to it and no rush hour slowdown?

No need to answer, it's a rhetoric question. The point being that it's far more nuanced than you make it out to be.

Originally Posted by ashill
Hawaiian's application for the nighttime slot pair was uncontested. No one, including DL, UA, or AA, suggested that HA shouldn't get the nighttime slot, and so the DOT gave it to them.
It was contested back some two (+/-) years ago. HA asked for two slots. Got one. Don't pretend not to know what I mean and clearly said. I was never speaking about the current application, but about the last heavily contested round for HND-HNL (where, you are conveniently forgetting, that DL also asked for an HND-HNL slot - HA asked for two and DL asked for one).