FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How to get AA to establish a cell/speakerphone policy?
Old May 18, 2016, 9:25 am
imapilotaz

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by houstr8male
There are a small percentage of AA customers that that think it is ok to watch videos, play games, or make phone calls using their speakerphone instead of a headset. This occurs in gate areas, onboard and in Admirals Clubs. It seems there is always 'that person' wandering around the AC on a facetime call, oblivious to others. This trend seems to be on the rise and I find it rude and inconsiderate. I would like to encourage AA to institute a policy banning the use of speakerphones. Even listening to someone else's phone call is annoying but at least we wouldn't have to listen to the person on the other end, or their videos, music or games. Consider this c/p from an article on cell phone etiquette in Japan:

"The (vocal) use of mobile phones on public transport is frowned upon, and messages asking passengers not to make calls and to switch their phones to silent mode ("public mode" or "manner mode" in Japanese) are played frequently."

"It is considered a violation of good etiquette to answer a cell phone in certain public places. For example, on trains it is rude to answer or talk on cellphones. Many people keep their phone in 'manner mode' in order to not bother others and to avoid embarrassment on trains. On the other hand, writing emails or playing games with a cell phone while riding the train is completely acceptable."

I flew JAL several times recently and onboard announcements were made regarding not using cell phones until off the plane. Any suggestions on who I should write to at AA? Is it just me or do I need to move to Japan?
Im thinking you need to move on and move to Japan. If it bothers you, grab some Bose QC25s and listen to music to drown them out.