FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Australia car rental
View Single Post
Old May 17, 2016, 11:08 am
Exec_Plat

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Do your car prices include taxes? I've got a middle car like a Corolla for AUD$100 a day. A SUV and 4 x 4 in my experience were much more. Are us Australians getting ripped off.
I was just quoting rough daily rates...

BUT, here is an advanced car rental tip:

log onto various foreign websites... like hertz.com.de, hertz.co.UK, avis. etc etc.. US sites, german sites, UK sites, etc. It is shocking to find variation in pricing.

I do this all the time, both in the US and elsewhere, when the local rate seems abusive. once I needed a one way SFO-SMF, a single day. hertz wanted $280. I was on Wifi flying into SFO and went to the UK site, approx USD70 w tax, and insurance (didnt need it, just included) as a pre-paid. Paid for it in GBP with my credit card, picked it up 2 hrs later at SFO.

(I will also book cars for an extra day or two, which can trigger a lower rate- HOWEVER this varies by country and rate- some rates (like airline seats) are tied to rental length. Not for the casual user. If you return early they can almost charge wherever they want... in my example above that 4 day sydney number was tied to a minimum 4 day rental)