FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Camp Aloft
Thread: Camp Aloft
View Single Post
Old May 16, 2016, 9:28 pm
swise

Programs: Mr Swise: AAdvantage LifetimePlt/3MM, HH Dmnd, SPG Plt
We're back!

Here's how things went down...

We had two king rooms reserved, months in advance, supposedly with a notation in the booking to have the rooms connecting if possible or at least adjacent if possible. I later called and asked if we could have a double bedded room and, if not, a camp aloft air mattress provided. The first lady I spoke to at the hotel said no double rooms were available and had no idea what Camp Aloft was. She also told me that our rooms could be on the same floor but that adjacent rooms weren't available, much less connecting rooms.

So I called the gold # (we're lifetime gold right now). The lady there told me she would re-make the notation about the need for the rooms to be connecting/adjacent and would look into the Camp Aloft offering and make sure it was available at this hotel. After a long hold, she came back and said it should be available.

I called the hotel back, and this time the gentleman I spoke with confirmed they do offer Camp Aloft, but they did not have any air mattresses available, nor did they have any rooms adjacent/connecting. He upgraded one room to a suite and assured me that both rooms were as close together as possible, "just a few doors down from one another."

We checked in. My husband checked in while I wrangled the boys (ages 3 and 5). We went up to discover that their room was clear across the hotel. Our baby monitor wouldn't reach. Oddly enough, the boys' room was a double room. It was late, so we put the kids to bed. I went downstairs and told the staff that the arrangement was not going to work out. They said they would fix it for us the next day. I bunked with the boys that night.

Lo and behold, the next day, they moved us to connecting rooms *with* double beds on one side. The rooms were lovely. The king room was a suite. Spectacular view of Reunion Tower. Not sure why we had to go through all that rigamarole. The only thing I can figure is that the double room was accessible, and maybe they have to hang onto accessible rooms in case a late arrival shows up who needs special accommodation. Or maybe they didn't have it the first night. Who knows?

We still never received any goodies for the boys through the Camp Aloft program, even though we inquired about it twice.

So... If you don't need anything out of the ordinary, the Dallas Aloft Downtown is lovely with fantastic, large rooms and great proximity to the Convention Center. But if you need any special service, they might fall short. And they have no idea what to do when it comes to Camp Aloft.