View Single Post
Old May 15, 16, 8:26 am
Longboater

Programs: Amtrak Select, AA AAdvantage, UA MileagePlus, DL SkyMiles, B6 TrueBlue
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
Really? I thought the value requirement was to be for the benefit of the US economy, not specifically for outbound travelers.
If it was to the benefit of the US economy, KOA-HND would have been approved in either of the last two slot allocations. A nonstop TYO would serve the economy of West Hawai'i well.

I believe DOT specifically mentioned the slots were in the best interests of business travelers not to primarily leisure travelers. While yes there is business travel between HNL and TYO, is it worth it to sacrifice two of the six HND slots just to serve Hawai'i? At least with LAX-HND there is plenty of onward connections, in addition to the strong local business market. Don't get me wrong, I do not oppose granting HAL a HND slot. In fact, I believe it's necessary especially since NH will be launching daytime HNL-HND. But to give HAL a third of the HND slots while the primary traveler on those routes will be for leisure is ludicrous. DL has a better case of receiving three daytime HND slots than HAL has of receiving two HND slots.