FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Makena Beach hotel closing June 30, 2016
View Single Post
Old May 12, 2016, 11:40 pm
lhgreengrd1
Suspended

Originally Posted by GadgetKen
Looked at it on Orbitz before. Agree on somewhat Spartan, but it looks clean, well kept, and a nice beachfront location. There are also some very nice condos in the Kihei area. But for about the same price, I got a much nicer Wailea hotel on Skyauction. My point was more that it seems tougher to get a peak season room in a higher quality Maui hotel on a budget through traditional booking sites...the Makena beach hotel was a nice exception to that.
Don't get me wrong - I've stayed at the Days Inn multiple times, and I'd stay there again (generally, gotten on Priceline or Hotwire for something like $110 a night all in). But it is what it is - a clean small room with a bed, a tiny bathroom, and a lock on the door, in a great beach location. Amenities are nil, except for beach towels, a safe deposit box and fridge & microwave in the room, and free wifi, and a discount at the restaurant next door. I have been known to fill the gaps between deals I get on places in Kaanapali and Wailea with an extra day or two at the Days Inn. There's pretty much no other tolerable place anywhere near Wailea that can be gotten for just above a $100 a night - I used to be able to rent a studio condo at Wailea Grand Champions for about $135-150 a night (typically 3 night minimum) but not recently. Back in the day, I got the Makena resort on Priceline for $129 a night + resort fee and taxes, but those were the good old days.