FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Any advice on best ways to use Hawaiian Airlines miles for value?
Old May 11, 2016, 11:50 am
saacman5033

Sorry toolate, but as you're finding out HA miles are at or near the bottom in terms of value. And they've been steadily getting less valuable for several years. I tend to only use the miles these days when I have to fly interisland and can't use another program's miles. It's a challenge to get more than $0.01/pt in redemption value. Ironically, HA posts this statement on their partner award chart page: "As with most airlines, the best mileage redemption opportunities are found on flights within your own program’s network (for example redeeming HawaiianMiles for flights on Hawaiian Airlines). "

With Virgin America now flying to Hawaii the partner award chart indicates that you should be able to book a RT from HNL to the east coast for 40k miles. I've been wanting to try that out, but I can't bring myself to accumulate any more HA miles. Plus, the chances are that even if I banked the necessary miles and found VX availability, the terrible HA CS agents wouldn't be able to book it for me.