FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Where to stay in Palm Springs, CA?
View Single Post
Old May 3, 2016, 12:27 am
RobertTheTraveler

Originally Posted by rgronenb
Canyon Club Hotel is reasonable and a lot more fun than the Vagabond. Not a five star property but certainly well cared for.
The Vagabond has been my PS motel of choice for the past couple years.

I used to stay at Canyon Club, but had a couple bad experiences there, circa 2013-2014. It was always pretty affordable ($89-109), and I was even given an upgrade on a couple visits. Yet, I thought CC was pretty poorly maintained, with a perpetually non-working sauna, a rather sketchy crowd often lurking in the parking lot and attempting to sneak in, dirty/stained towels/sheets, a poorly maintained outdoor "park", and dilapidated/rickety pool-patio furniture.

I could overlook a lot of those items, especially on busy weekends with a fun crowd, but I often found that the place was lightly booked.

I just stayed at the Vagabond PS last week and it was a great stay. The online "internet rate" (~$63) is typically on par with the now-pricey Motel6 properties, especially since you have to pay for internet at Motel6 ($59.99+$2wifi). Vagabond rooms are large, very clean, with fridge/microwave, strong wifi, complimentary USAToday in the lobby, and excellent 100+ channel digital cable.

The breakfast is rather bleak, though they do have a waffle maker. The pool is so-so. It's an older property, still has icky bedspreads and solid thick actual metal roomkeys, which do conveniently slip into your own keyring.

It does seem that the "daypass" business is down bigtime at many of the PS gay hotels. Maybe another victim of social media/hookup apps? Most of the properties are now $25 per day. And rarely worth it.