FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Oman Recommendations
View Single Post
Old Apr 30, 2016, 4:52 pm
callmedtop

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Oman Recommendations

Doing 5 nights in Oman as a getaway, followed by 2 nights in Dubai with the SO. Currently thinking:

2 nights Chedi Muscat
2 nights Alila Jabal Akhdar
1 night Desert Nights Camp

Likely will do FS in Dubai, but less concerned about Dubai at this point.

Anyone have any comments on the above Oman hotels? Is Chedi past its prime? They want $750++ a night (I've heard the base level rooms are no good, so this is for a Deluxe room), which seems awfully steep.

Anyone here stay at the Alila yet? I believe it opened back in 2014 and I can only find good reviews.

Looking for a nice mix of R&R and "adventure". I put that in quotes because although we are in our 20's, we are both the opposite of sporty. At the same time, we get bored just sitting around at the beach / pool.

I'm considering the SL or R-C Muscat just because rates are half of that of the Chedi, and if we're just using the hotel as a jump-off point to explore Oman (e.g., would love to check out all the cool wadis in the area), it may not be worth it.

We LOVE driving, so definitely will be renting a car (4x4 required for Alila) for the entire trip to explore on our own. With that in mind, maybe skip the Alila altogether and use Muscat as a base for all 4 nights, then do 1 night desert camp for something "different"? Or even skip the desert camp all-together?

Decisions, decisions!

pricesquire has already gave me his thoughts directly, but I'd love to hear from the greater community as well .