FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DFW - PLS: Can I Check a Cooler?
View Single Post
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 pm
KenInEscazu

Programs: AA EP, CM PP, AV GM, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat
I live in Medellin, Colombia and lived eight years in San Jose, Costa Rica prior to that. The policy has always been that outside of embargo dates (this year's next posted embargo period is June 18 through September 1) you may carry a cooler that does not exceed the size and weight restrictions of any other checked bag.

After reviewing AA's "clear-as-mud" checked bags policy details, a phone call seemed in order to confirm that there has not been another change while I slept last night. Tonight's agent confirmed that a cooler is allowed for my May 1st flight, but she also said I'm limited to three checked bags, even though I am EXP with a ticket purchased prior to the reduced baggage allowance announcement. I know she's wrong about that.

When I checked in at MDE on Sunday with 4 bags, they tried to tell me I could only take 3 or pay for a 4th, but a quick call solved it. I'm praying I don't have to go through that every time I fly on my remaining pre-change purchased tickets.

As an alternative suggestion to taking a separate cooler, I carry three large B&R rolling duffle bags. When traveling on airlines with a 3 bag limit, I have a good sized cooler that will go inside of one without a problem. Although I can't take back as many things per trip using that option, it sure is better than nothing. I need my favorite Gringo food, and very little of that is available in Latin America. Less in Colombia than Costa Rica.