FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Unicom Hongkong SIM "Cross Border King Dual Extra"
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:08 am
STS-134

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by moondog
Which VPN do you use? Will you be in places with good LTE coverage?
I use several VPNs. I'll be in Shanghai and Beijing (which I'm assuming have good LTE coverage; I'd expect those places to get it first out of all places in China).

For free VPNs (which are the only type I've used so far), I've used OpenVPN (connection to my home server). I've also used Psiphon. (Psiphon, BTW, seems to have a hell of a lot of bandwidth, at least from their TX and NJ endpoints. I once watched an entire MLB.TV game over Psiphon to get around MLB.TV's blackout policies).

I want to try Shadowsocks and I might even also pay for ExpressVPN and/or VyprVPN. 2 trips to China ago, OpenVPN was repeatedly experiencing annoying disconnections every 5-30 minutes. Maybe Shadowsocks or VyprVPN will be better (I have an Android phone, which can use the Chamelion technology and maybe this will stop the annoying disconnects).

Last edited by STS-134; Apr 27, 2016 at 10:13 am