FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DL applies for Haneda slots: ATL/LAX/MSP
View Single Post
Old Apr 26, 2016, 2:02 pm
ashill

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
(Replying separately to the non-political portion of this post.)

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
ADDED: In addition to my concern about the future of the nonstop flight to Tokyo from MSP (and potential consequences for down gauging of some domestic MSP routes), I'm wondering about the future of DL service on the intraAsia routes like SIN and BKK, to the extent that there are many flights remaining from NRT (R.I.P. HKG, ICN, PUS, CAN and others.) The idea of changing airports at Tokyo sounds horrible, as does being to connect through PVG on MU or other mainland China airports using Chinese partner flights.
That's obviously why DL has the pipe dream of moving their entire TYO hub from NRT to HND. I don't think they have any expectation of connecting passengers involving inter-airport HND-NRT transfers. But even if they were able to move the entire hub to NRT, I don't think they really want to be flying intra-Asia connecting flights in large numbers themselves. That's why they've tried for so long to establish a joint venture with KE and why they've invested in MU, and also why they whine (somewhat fairly) about how nice it is for AA and UA to have local partners in TYO. A local partner will always make more sense than operating connecting flights on the far side of the Pacific.

In addition, I don't want to connect through SEA or LAX for Asian destinations.
Then, long term, you're flying the wrong airline. DL has a very clear goal of replacing the NRT connecting hub with nonstop flights from SEA and LAX to Asia and intra-Asia flights operated by Asian partners.