FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Lies about the Alaska mileaage plan
View Single Post
Old Apr 26, 2016, 8:56 am
SamuelS

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by Smith Sinclair
I've been a loyal Alaska airlines customer for over 20 years, even doing a commercial for them about 15 years ago. But regarding their mileage plan, I feel they've totally become a source of false advertising in the most major way. First, we all have to be continually pulverized by mileage plan selling by flight attendants who blast the intercom and walk up and down the isles repeating the plans benefits. But for those who like to use the miles, and are loyal like I have been, they leave you wanting to leave all the time. Try booking a direct flight to their new location DFW using miles, and you'll either be given only multiple flights with a stopover, or you'll pay a premium to get the direct one available. It's a shame they've been doing this for years. Hawk the credit cards all day, sell the mileage plan all day, but fail miserably to fulfill your obligation to provide the basic services they advertise. It's s crying shame they don't listen to their customers. It's been a terrible strategy for an airline that treats it's flyers on the plane as well as anyone in the sky. I wrote the director of marketing years ago but never got a response. Shameful.
Supply : Demand.

There is absolutely no guarantee that "low/saver" availability will always be available for the routes and times you want for mileage redemption.

That holds true WITH EVERY SINGLE AIRLINE. So not sure how this is "lies"??

Have you looked at Delta redemptions? They're not exactly generous with low 12,500 award redemption either.

At least with Alaska, you can usually find mid-tier 20k redemptions. Even on flights that are virtually full (highest Y fare buckets only) - they still offer a cap-out at 30k. Delta I've seen one-way fares in Economy as high as 40k or more.

And guess what. If there are low 12,500 redemptions available with DL or AA - you can book them with your AS miles in any event!

Doh!