FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Buying gold coins for maximum points-generation
Old Apr 22, 2016, 1:26 pm
philip0

Buying gold coins for maximum points-generation

Hi, I'd like to accumulate 20-50K USD in investment-grade gold coins. No particular rush, although I intend to start soon and finish in less than a year. I just want them to sit on, let's say diversification.

How would you go about doing this for maximum intrinsic coin or bullion value and maximum points generation as well? Is the US Mint the only legit game in town?

I'm sitting on an Amex Gold 75K / 5K targeted mailer I can knock back this way. I suppose I could do that with a few other opportunistic signup bonuses as I see them throughout the year. So then 5 effortless $5K spend signup bonuses over a year is the best idea I have. Is that the best I can do with 25K, possibly 50K of spend? It might be nice to mentally check out on every high-spend signup I do this year.

Buying coins on Amazon or eBay in these quantities sounds sketchy but if anyone knowledgeable has done it I'd love to hear about that (e.g., opens up Staples/Ink gift card play). I can't find anything so far from reputable retailers on AA or Alaska rewards mall, for example.

Thanks for any ideas.