FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New seating config for Saga class on FI?
View Single Post
Old Apr 21, 2016, 8:21 am
Donna49

Programs: DL DM 2MM (NW+DL) FI Gold
Icelandair IS changing Saga class seating-and removing a lav...

Just to add to my OP; in talking with the flight supervisor (FI's name for the lead F/A) FI is, in fact, in the process of re-configuring seating on the 757. She did not know if the entire fleet would be changed, but she thought that most likely.

On my flight, 6A,D,and F were all paid Saga class, and all were downgraded at the gate. This was an a/c change a few hours before the flight, from a row 6 Saga class plane, to a row 6 EC plane. Needless to say they were not happy, and brought that to the attention of the flight supervisor.

She did her best to make the best of a bad situation by giving them Saga class meals and service (spirits and such) with what she had available after taking care of rows 1-5.

In looking at the seating, it was obvious that row 6 had recently been mod-ed to be EC, which is essentially 3x3 coach seating, with a drop down to block the middle seat. There were the IFE screens in the seat backs of row 5, for use when row 6 was Saga class, but were now inop-ed.

For IFE in row 6, we had the individual small screen unit that you pull up from the side of your seat, and each of the seats in the 3x3 config of the new row 6 had one, so that row 6 can easily be changed from EC, and sold as regular economy, giving each seat their IFE screen.

In looking at the changes from other 757s I've been on, the lav next to the L2 door is now gone. This plane has 3 lavs, one forward, and 2 all the way back.

In doing further research, a seat map for this new version is available on the Icelandair web site: (click on the 757-200 184 pax version)

http://www.icelandair.us/information...air/our-fleet/

As many of you know, often on an EC ticket, you got a seat in Saga class. Nicer seat, but still EC service. Perhaps they decided they were doing this too often, and are in the process of making Saga class just 5 rows, and making row 6 EC and easily convertible to standard coach seating.

If anyone is on an Icelandair flight with this new seating, I hope you will post the tail number here, to get an idea of how many planes have been changed.