FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Machu Picchu in 5 days?
View Single Post
Old Apr 19, 2016, 1:14 pm
ajandraschell

Originally Posted by joseeantonior
So glad you've decided to come to Peru, all the way from my favorite city in the world (hehe, I love LA)!

To be completely honest with you, it would be a pretty tight itinerary. Both Machu Picchu and the lake are in different areas of the country. You would have to fly from Lima to Cusco, and then take a train in Ollantaytambo to Aguas Calientes in order to reach Machu Picchu. It can be done in a day, yes, but it's a bit tight. After that, you would have to fly back to Lima. You'd take a flight to Juliaca, a bus to Puno, and then go to the lake. All of that without mentioning altitude, you may want one day in each city to recover

If you are already working with a travel agency, I'd recommend following up in order to get the other flights into your itinerary. Otherwise, feel free to PM me and I'll do my best to help you out. You may be able to squeeze both of them into the same itinerary, but I highly recommend one or the other.

Good luck!
Thank you so much for the info. We were actually in the Philippines for a couple of weeks for business and pleasure. Just got back into the routine. Ok, so is a travel agency recommended at either Cusco or Lake Titicaca area? I finally booked LIM-CUZ, so we are good, but my wife and I are looking to stay at the closest SPG hotel to MP which is in Urubamba. This is considered a part of the sacred valley right? We wanted to relax and acclimate over there for two days. We also wanted to hike to MP which can be done in either 1 day, 3 day, or 7 day set treks. We were debating between 1 or 3 days, but where do I find the price points for these? Should we just book through the hotel or is there a direct government website? Is it cheaper to buy in person and in S/.? My buddy just got back last week. His wife is Peruvian and they visited her family from there, but when the vendors found out that they were tourists, they gouged them for everything they had! I don't want to be them!!! haha
So, Lake Titicaca we would still love to see, but MP is priority. We want to be back in LIM by 5/11 in the afternoon, so we technically have 5/4-part of 5/11 (7 days) to play with for MP and/or LT. Thoughts?

Last edited by ajandraschell; Apr 19, 2016 at 1:26 pm