FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Asiana Club Family Mileage Plan
View Single Post
Old Apr 16, 2016, 9:06 pm
jon503

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA, AF
Originally Posted by Roka
Can you actually pool miles between different family members, or does one member need to have a sufficient number of miles? For example, if a booking needs 60k miles and each member has 30k, can I pool the two together to book an award?
I'm not aware of any specific requirement that one member needs sufficient miles. The way it works is that miles are first deducted from the member in whose name the respective award ticket is, and then the remainder is taken from the pool. So say you want to book two C awards that together require 60,000 miles, one member has 50,000 miles, the other 10,000 miles. For the member with fewer miles, first 10,000 miles are charged to their account, and then 20,000 miles are charged to the other members' account.

That said, your example seems a bit odd, as particularly with 2 people, I can't think of any examples where neither member has sufficient miles personally, but there are enough miles collectively.

Edit: At second glance, is this what you have in mind: One ticket costs 60,000, and neither member has enough miles on their own? In that case, pooling miles to get one ticket is possible using the process described above.