FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - GUIDE: LHR / London Heathrow, Connection, MCT inc. AA T3 <--> BA/IB T5
Old Apr 16, 2016, 8:32 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by nbevan
I wonder what the purpose of this is:

b) the security check could be done at the lounge (if they still do this?) or gate

But in general it would seem to be quicker to ignore this precheck and go straight to the lounge/gate?
They no longer ask questions at the lounge. But, since the expect people to be corralled and asked in the little room, we skipped that (thinking we could do it at the lounge) and ended up doing it at the gate in about 30 seconds since others had already been to the "room."

In future we will skip the room and do it at the gate.

Originally Posted by GUWonder

Remember the shopping mall with an airport operation we call London-Heathrow? If people went straight to the gate (or even perhaps the lounges), would they tend to spend more or less money at the airport concessions?
The new location of the Flight Connections entry point drops at the end of the gauntlet of shops- right at the hallway leading to the lounges...so it is no longer necessary to brave that element at T3

Originally Posted by aktchi
AA has this weird overkill at LHR, which they don't do just about anywhere else. Nevertheless, for smoothest experience you should follow the process they have set up. If you skip it, inadvertently or not, all of that stuff can and will be done at other points as you mention. Gate is the last option, but of course delaying that far can slow down your boarding.
It's possible that it could, but I'm willing to take that chance. On one trip we were not able to get the onward BPs, so had to stop in the Very Slow Room. The next time we had them and bypassed. Very quick at the gate. I would do that again.

Cheers.