FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hong Kong and Bangkok – BA A380 First and CW, Cathay First and Premium Econ, W Hotels
Old Apr 10, 2016, 10:12 am
matthandy

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond

The W Hong Kong

Checking into the W Hong Kong was a different experience to that of the W Bangkok. These are two very different hotels. The W Bangkok is like a night club whereas the W Hong Kong is more like a cool bar. It feels more upmarket, classier.

I'd used some Suite Night Awards to guarantee a suite and I ended up with a Fantastic Suite which is the first of the suite categories. In Bangkok I had done the same but got upgraded further to a Marvellous Suite. My suite was on the 19th floor and had great views of Kowloon but not of the harbour itself.

The suite was much smaller than the one in Bangkok but it was well appointed and very comfortable. There was a small lounge area with a large TV and work desk, a large bathroom and the bedroom had large windows which made it very bright and airy. I really liked the styling of the room, it was much more to my taste compared to Bangkok.

W Hong Kong - corridor

Entrance to my room

Walking into the room

The lounge area

The lounge area

The bedroom

The bedroom – looking towards the bathroom

The bath and shower

The vanity

The view from my room – at night

Room service

After getting myself settled in I didn’t really feel like doing much so I opted to borrow a DVD and order room service. For some reason, I picked 'Sleepless in Seattle' which I hadn't seen before. For room service I went for the a toasted sandwich with some chips and a chocolate fondant for dessert. Both were great.

In the morning I went down for breakfast which was free, given my Platinum status. Are W hotels trying to out do each other? There was so much choice it was ridiculous.

There were rows and rows of fresh juices, yoghurts, an endless selection of hot dishes from around the world, enough pastries to satisfy the most discerning customer, it went on. I'm a fairly traditional breakfast person but I do like to have a starter, main and dessert. So it was a quick bowl of cereal with some juice, a hot breakfast and then some pastries and yoghurt. Thanks Platinum card!

After breakfast I decided to go and have a look at the swimming pool on the roof. I had no intention of swimming, since it was only about 20 degrees outside but I thought that it would be worth a look. Wow, wow, wow. It was amazing, and, there was only one other guest using it. The pool was heated so I quickly rushed down to my room to get my swimming stuff to take an unexpected dip.

Woobar

Breakfast setting

The view outside, from my table

Juice selection

Hot selection

Yoghurts

Pastries

'Dessert'

I spent a good hour or so swimming in the pool and relaxing in the Jacuzzi. Compared to the Ritz-Carlton next door, this experience was much better. Whilst the pool there is arguably more luxurious, it's not outdoors.

After my swim I went down a floor to check out the spa area. Hotel guests are allowed to use all of the facilities here, including the sauna, steam room, Jacuzzi etc. The facilities are separated into male and female. It was very quiet when I visited, in fact I was the only person there, so I was able to snap a few pictures.

After a very relaxing morning I took the train to central and spent a couple of hours wandering around. I love the quirky shops and backstreets. The contrast in Hong Kong is one of the reasons that I love the place.

One of the highlights for me in Central is Man Mo temple. It's small, dark and full of incense! I love the light coming through the ceiling and mixing with the smoke of the incense sticks. I must have spent a good 20 minutes or so just photographing the incense coils.

I then made my way to the mid-levels escalator and walked back down amoung the walkways to take the Star Ferry back to TST.

In the evening I met up with a friend and we had a Cantonese meal in the hotel's restaurant (discount for SPG members). My God, they did the best Char Siu (BBQ Pork) that I've ever had! We had a second plate.

Rooftop Pool

Rooftop Pool - panorama

Spa facilities

Wandering around Central

Wandering around Central

Local streets

Butchers

Old and new

Incense coils in Mo Man Temple

Lanterns

Lanterns

Steep climb

Mid-levels

Walking back to Central pier

Star Ferry

TST pier

The sun sets

The most amazing Char Siu ever

The following morning was my last day in Hong Kong and of this trip. I'd had an amazing time but it was time to go home, although I had a full day of activities ahead. I got up, had breakfast, checked out of the hotel and then made my way to the in-town check in at Kowloon station to get rid of my luggage. I then walked back to the hotel and took the courtesy mini-bus to TST ferry pier to await my friend. We'd booked the extremely cheap Star Ferry harbour tour. This is basically an ex-ferry (which is been comfortably refurbished) which does a circuit of the harbour picking up passengers as it goes.

It was a great way to see the other parts of the harbour that you don't get to see on the standard Star Ferry services. The tour lasted approximately an hour and wasn't ever really busy which was excellent. I can thoroughly recommend it if you are looking for a no frills quick trip around the harbour.

Kowloon check in

Star ferry

A touch of maintenance

On board the tour boat

Great views

The Ritz Carlton and the W

The rooftop swimming pool at the W

Boat on the harbour

After the tour we returned to TST and walked to Peninsula to have afternoon tea. This is something that I have wanted to do since my first visit to Hong Kong back in 2007. We had to wait quite a while as there was a reasonable queue, however, it was managed well.

We were sat at a table overlooking the foyer area and had the pleasure of listening to live classical music being played by the band on the mezzanine above us. The service was good, despite being busy it never felt like we were being rushed. The waiter even offered to take our photo, which we took him up on.

As expected, the quality of the food and the tea was very good. We spent about an hour just enjoying the surroundings and taking our time. Afterwards we made our way out to the promenade to take some photos of the harbour at sunset.

After an hour or so, with my friend getting rather bored, it was time for me to leave for the airport. I said my goodbyes and then walked to Kowloon station to get on the Airport Express train to the airport. It's always with sadness that I leave Hong Kong, however, I always know that I'll be back. I can't keep away.

The Peninsula

Waiting for afternoon tea

Place setting and green tea

Afternoon tea

Fleet of Rolls Royce cars

TST at sunset

Harbour view – goodbye Hong Kong

Up Next

Last part – a pretty average flight back to London on the BA A380 in Club World