FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ongoing offers for Hilton cards issued by Amex or Citi
Old Apr 8, 2016, 8:38 am
RobertHanson

Originally Posted by beltway
You sure you're not confusing this with the CARD Act's bar on product changes in the first year?
In fact I think the Card Act is what I was referring to. Why do you say "confusing"?

You can't product change from a no fee card to an AF card within the first year. But AFAIK, it doesn't prevent you from applying for a no fee card if you have recently gotten a fee card. I don't pretend to totally understand what is probably a 6000 page piece of legislation though. Perhaps it only applies to upgrading a card, and not to applying for a different but related card. IDK.

I do know that when I had a regular card open less than a year, AMEX wouldn't allow me to even see the app page for the Surpass. It was blocked from even showing up, Chinese government style.

But I was able to successfully apply for a Surpass by using Private Browser, when apparently AMEX didn't identify me as having a regular HH card open. That was a year or so ago, so I don't know if it still works...