FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Ultimate Upgrade Question thread
View Single Post
Old Apr 7, 2016, 3:30 am
QRC3288

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by hikouki
I notice that there is always one row of business seats at the back blocked.

These seats show up as occupied on the CX seat map, and blocked on expert flyer. Is there any chance these might be released to waitlisted mileage upgrade people?

I'm flying CX 885 on April 22. Booked on PY, waitlisted for mileage upgrade to business. Expertflyer shows 9 unassigned business seats + 4 blocked at the back. EF also shows first with only 1 assigned. I keep calling MPC, and they always say to wait for an email if availability pops up.
although it *often* can be useful, the seatmap is ultimately an unreliable metric. it is good for a headfake because it's sometimes a good indication of a low load...but othertimes not.

CX885 that day looks decent, but you'll just have to wait and see. It's J7 C7 D7 I5, and IME when there are <6 I fares available for sale this far out, they're not going to release J award inventory yet. Working in your favor is F seems wide open. Working against you is W is also wide open....so they don't have any urgency from below to push you into J. They're going to try their best to sell those J seats. Just sit tight. Jury is still out if CX prefers partner awards to Asia Miles upgrade awards in this situation. In principle, I darn well wish they'd prioritize AM upgrade redemptions here, but knowing CX I wouldn't put it past them to book a partner award into straight J over your redemption W-J, because CX knows they've already got your revenue in W and the incremental contribution is probably higher from the partner given the lower (30k?) Asia Miles burn to upgrade your ticket. In essence, CX can keep your cash revenue in W and get a higher incremental sale from the partner redemption in J. Overall you're more valuable, but incrementally the partner carries the weight because the Asia Miles required to go W-J is so low. This is just a theory, based on a few folks on here say they're seeing partner availability but not Asia Miles award inventory. If you happen to see the partner award redemption show up on the BA website but you don't clear your waitlist, I'd call Asia Miles and call them out on the bullshixt...I'd bet on it CX would release to you in that situation.

Put it this way, I don't think it's surprising you haven't heard yet. Y-J and J-F upgrades would be a lock at this point, but PEY-J not so much unfortunately. Just keep your fingers crossed.

Last edited by QRC3288; Apr 7, 2016 at 3:38 am