FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: 2016 Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ
Old Apr 6, 2016, 10:29 am
neo_781

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by IrishAyes
Hi -

Am not a frequent poster/browser on FT, so trying to work on that. Bear with me if this question has already been answered (or please re-direct me to a site that can provide guidance). Thanks in advance!

Context: I am a plat AA flyer based out of DFW. I have roughly 24 500-Mile upgrade stickers that I don't want to waste. I already know for a fact that this year, it's going to be a struggle for me to re-qualify even for Gold, so consequently, my stickers will likely expire by end of February 2017.

I've gotten to a point where I just submit for an upgrade request virtually whenever I fly AA, but being based in DFW, the chances are virtually impossible of that happening.

What do people suggest I do, perhaps before the 2/17 expiration, to exhaust them? Find a cheap o/w fare from DFW to HNL/OGG or something and just get a MR out of it?
(1) I don't think the e-500's expire. You just won't be able to use them when you don't have status, so they will sit dormant until you requalfiy

(2) If you say the chances for you being in DFW are "virtually impossible" for clearing an upgrade, why would you think a mileage run would be any better? (unless you are doing it in the hopes of re-qualifying for status)

(3) My suggestion would be keep requesting as you are currently doing but with 2 small tweaks - try to book your tickets as far in advance as you can and also try not to fly on peak days.