View Single Post
Old Apr 5, 16, 5:36 pm
catgirl

Programs: AC *50K MM; WS Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Ah, Victoria, one of my favorite Canadian cities!

If you like walking -- the Inner Harbour is edged by two great walking paths -- the Westsong Walkway and the David Foster walkway (that connect with each other at the Johnson street bridge). If you go as far as Songhees Point (in front of the Delta Ocean Pointe) on the north side and Laurel Point (in front of the Laurel Point Inn) on the south side, the walk one-way is about 2 km and should take you about 30 minutes. Or you can extend your walk on the Westsong on the north side to the end of the walkway (it ends on Head Street in Esquimalt). Similarly you can extend your walk on the David Foster on the south side to Fisherman's Wharf. If you do both extensions, the walk is about 5 km one-way and takes a little over an hour. These are great walks if you want to get some fantastic photographs of flora, fauna, and harbour water traffic. Depending on what time of the day you're there, you might see the Coho (the large vehicle ferry that goes to Port Angeles WA), or the Clipper (passenger ferry that goes to Seattle) making its way in or out of the inner harbour. Plus lots of other water traffic, birds and flowers. Plus, since you're into photography, make sure you get some photos of the inner harbour once the sun goes down.

If it's just flowers you want, then you can't beat the Butchart Gardens of course.

Touristy stuff in the downtown area -- if you're there on a weekday, stop in at the BC Legislature for a tour, interesting and free. The Royal BC Museum is also pretty cool, and if you're so inclined they run regular Imax showings. And for quirky, stop in at Miniature World (around the north side of the Empress Hotel).

Food -- the iconic stop of course is high tea at the Empress - overpriced but still fun to say you did it, a should-try-at-least-once event. For something very casual, the shacks at Fisherman's Wharf never disappoint, and neither does Red Fish Blue Fish which is right on the inner harbour waterfront. Mid-range, we quite enjoy the Flying Otter Grill which is right where the seaplanes take off and land on the harbourfront. A couple of other favourites are Masala Bites (1015 Fort Street) for Indian food, and the Reef (533 Yates) for Caribbean rotis. Also try Pink Bicycle (1008 Blanshard) for gourmet burgers and Baan Thai (1117 Blanshard). More upscale, Lure at the Delta Ocean Pointe has never disappointed. And if you're looking for budget options, then you may find this link -- http://soleseeking.com/2016/01/23/cu...ria-bc-canada/ -- helpful. On this list, we've tried Sally Bun, Red Fish Blue Fish, Gobind Food Market, Little Thai Place, and Masala Bites and can recommend them all.

The kayaks are already out in Victoria harbour, so if you feel like doing something a little physical, check this link: https://victoriakayak.com/. They're fun and reasonably priced.

You asked about Nanaimo ... you could certainly go there, but we've never run out of things to keep us entertained in Victoria, so I can't offer any specific recommendations. Perhaps other FT'ers can offer insights?

I'm sure I've forgotten stuff, but I've gone on more than I meant to, so I'll stop now, but please let me know if you have specific questions.

Last edited by catgirl; Apr 6, 16 at 9:46 am Reason: Edited to add two more restaurants