FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bogota, Colombia
Old Apr 4, 2016, 11:05 am
Kacee
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by GetawaysRus
A few more questions:
1. To get from/to the airport to either the Marriott or the JW, does this mean we should plan to take a taxi? Can someone give me an idea of the cost?
2. Am I understanding correctly that taxis either from the hotel or "hailed" via the phone app Tappsi are the best mode of transport for the tourist within the city?
3. I have an unlocked GSM phone that I use for international travel. Usually, in Europe, I just buy an inexpensive SIM card for the country I am visiting. Will this work also for Colombia? And will I still be able to call for a taxi from that phone even if it isn't a smartphone? (My USA service is with Verizon, so I think my other option might be to pay Verizon so that I can use my Verizon smartphone in Colombia.)
These really aren't Marriott questions, but here goes:

1. The Marriott is about a mile from the airport. They have a shuttle. The JW is 30-45 minutes away. A taxi will cost about $10 US. You can arrange transport through the hotel for a bit more, but they tend to use multi-passenger vans which I find not very comfortable.

2. Yes that's what people will tell you. There is a higher risk factor if you hail a taxi on the street. But people do it nonetheless.

3. Technically, you need a Colombian ID (cedula) to buy a SIM, but I believe the smaller shops will sell you one. Verizon has a $25/month international plan add-on that makes international service merely overpriced as opposed to prohibitively expensive.

And you didn't ask, but the JW is a better property for everything except ease of airport access.