FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BKK: Airport to the City
View Single Post
Old Feb 20, 2003, 4:29 am
kawoh

300THB for the THai limo's.... very very cheap!! how much would it cost you to get to say - Siam Square??

I typically exit, walk out the sliding doors, up a bit to the taxi counter, mention my location, they write it in thai, give you 2 dockets, the larger one you keep the smaller you give to your driver. the larger one is a complaint form, to keep them honest. Typically always i get charged a little more than what's on the meter, but that's fine, i really dont want to argue.

They have a 50 THB surcharge from the taxi stand (all of around US$1), but if you want to save some bucks, you can go upstairs and catch a taxi on the highway or a taxi dropping someone off... save you 50 THB, but be careful, they go fast on the main road.

Expect your cab fare to town to be around 200 THB, plus the 50 THB airport stand surcharge plus 70 THB in tolls (first one is 40 THB, second one is 30 THB) - you will need to give this to the driver when he gets to the toll pay booth. Agree re the expressway, don't waste your time and patience going the other way to save a buck or so! make sure they securely put your bag in the boot or put it in the back seat with you if you can. Also, maybe sit in the front seat and put on a seat belt... they got around 140k on the highway and there are no seat belts in the back... if it makes *ANY* difference!!

The total fare of around 200 plus 50 plus 70 is about 320 THB, this equates to about A$13.. or about us$8..

Cheapest cab fare i got was about 125 THB from the city (hilton wireless rd) to the airport plus the toll... i was shocked... he did want to charge me 300 THB, just insist on meter... meter ... meter.. and they'll do it, rather than argue. thai's don't like making a situation of things.

avoid the public transport bus, though very very cheap, it is slow, and the bus drivers can tend to decide to go off somewhere rather than where they are supposed to go properly if they know you are a tourist and no one else is left in the bus to complain about where they are skipping.

i have seen they may be building a train out to the airport eventually, but don't expect it for quite a while yet.

[This message has been edited by kawoh (edited 02-20-2003).]