FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - TSA Precheck In Reality
View Single Post
Old Apr 1, 2016, 1:52 pm
Euphonix8

Programs: Global Entry, APEC, United Premier Silver, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by am1108
I have been interested for a while in joining TSA Precheck although I did have questions:

1) What is the success rate getting TSA Precheck on your boarding pass? I have been a little weary in joining since it seems that if you join it only seems to increase the chance to use Precheck not really have it 100% of the time.

2) Are the TSA Precheck lines always short?

3) Are there any other issues with TSA Precheck that doesn't make it worth buying?

I finally want to make a jump on joining since I was almost late due to a long security line in Reno (about a month ago) and I saw that they had a Precheck line opened (3-4 agents staffing the lane) and about a couple of people went through fairly quickly while the regular line was about 40-50 minutes long. I barely made that flight, in fact they closed the door right after I went through Phew!

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Although I know that Global Entry is only $85 more, I don't want to spend the extra money since all of my international travel is always with someone who doesn't have GE.
1. Since having pre check I have never not gotten it when I got my boarding pass. My membership is through global entry and not just pre check so I don't know if that makes a difference.

2. No, I have seen pre check lanes be pretty long, and they can be slow when they randomly select people to be in the pre check lane who have no idea what they are doing.

3. Global entry is by far the best travel investment I have made. I know you mentioned that you didn't want to spend the extra money, but the extra benefits really are worth it.