FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Traveling with lithium batteries.
View Single Post
Old Mar 31, 2016, 8:55 pm
FredAnderssen
Suspended

Programs: Delta SM
Traveling with lithium batteries.

I recently purchased a portable drill gun with two 18 volt lithium batteries. According to Delta's Sky magazine, lithium batteries need to be in their own plastic bags or their contacts covered with tape and brought onboard in your carry-on.

Drill guns aren't allowed in a carry-on, so I will be placing it in my checked luggage, hoping that it makes it through without being pilfered somewhere between check-in and the airplane.

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with these types of lithium batteries brought onboard. With the drill gun placed in my checked bag, I can't demonstrate that they are for that device, if this is important to the TSA. The batteries have a button on the back that can be pressed to show the charge of the battery. I noticed something on the UPS web-site today that stated that after April 1, the FAA is changing rules regarding lithium batteries being shipped that requires them to be discharged to some degree. Would I also need to do this with these batteries?

Because of the size of these batteries, I'm assuming there will be some concern by the TSA and the danger they might pose on the plane.