FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Annual fee retention bonus for Starwood Amex Card (Pre-May, 2019)
Old Mar 30, 2016, 5:37 pm
ed765

Received $100 offer to keep the SPG card open (older $65 fee one). Took it since it exceeds the fee. It was not to be posted for 6-8 weeks (but it has already been posted).

This was generous. While she referred to I being a regular user of the card, the heavy spending was soon after I got it, when I was trying to meet the minimum spending. I chose not to try to meet the spend $5,000 within six months for 15,000 more points, because that converted to only 3 points per dollar on an incremental basis, and I got 2.625% back on a BOA Platinum Honors card.

After I had received the bonus for the initial spending, my spending had been limited to about $1.51 every time I made payments to Verizon, with the goal being to show activity on the SPG account so that after I canceled the card the SPG points would remain and not be lost due to inactivity.

I wonder if she could see how little had been spent on the card recently, or just that it had been regularly used?

A hidden cost to keeping this is that I am up against the limit of 4 credit cards, so keeping this may prevent me from getting another card I may prefer.

In my particular circumstances this may be the Simply Cash Business Card, which can offer 3% on restaurants. Previously this was not very attractive because I had 3 Forward cards that gave 5% back on restaurants, but after June 4th this will not be available.

It is possible that after I have received my $100 I will still cancel this card to get another, or I may choose to cancel a consumer card.

Last edited by ed765; Apr 5, 2016 at 1:00 pm