FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Please post your Royal Ambassador experiences (Archive Thread 2016)
Old Mar 21, 2016, 11:07 am
scubaccr

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Raynyan
InterContinental Sydney

What is your IHG Rewards Club status?

Spire Royal Ambassador.

Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay?
Mixed feelings

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?
Booked the Club InterContinental Harbour Suite, however one day before arrival, system indicated the Deluxe Harbour Suite (One level degrade). I have contacted to front office to tell it's not fair. They immediately returned to the original booking. I received same room with discount rate upon arrival. Assigned room was not high floor which I had expected. I asked to change for more higher floor. Management told me to wait until next day. Next day, I received the Australia Suite.

How are the rooms?
Club InterContinental Harbour Suite: 70sqm. Indeed dated. But room concept is good enough. No power outlet near the bedside.

InterContinental Sydney, Club InterContinental Harbour Suite - YouTube

Australia Suite: Highest category room of this hotel. 245sqm huge suite. Baby grand piano, Blu-ray AV system, personal printer/fax, spacious kitchenette, spacious bathroom with Jacuzzi, and exclusive terrace have equipped.

InterContinental Sydney, Australia Suite (Royal Suite) - YouTube

How is the Club Lounge?
Facility is absolutely one of the best in the world. But services are terrible! I have never and ever experienced this worst services. Especially the breakfast, totally same menu during my stay. And no one coming to take a order of egg dish and coffee or tea. They seems to ignore me. Of course, Meal quality is not exceeded my expectation.

What was your welcome gift?
Full bottle of hotel label red wine and Moët Champagne.

How was the mini-bar?
Good enough. One G.H.Mumm demi bottle Champagne, Jacob's Creek Red/White wines, and a lot of soft drink selections. But I think IC Double Bay was much better.

In addition, Australia Suite has 5x 1000ml S.Pellegrino and 3x 1000ml Acqua Panna.

Did you receive fruit in the room?
Yes

What was good and what was bad?
GOOD
++++++++++ Upgrade to Australia Suite
+++++ Moët Champagne as welcome gift
++ Good selections of mini-bar
++ Restaurant outlet (The Meat and Wine Co.)

BAD
I can't complain to the hotel since I received the Australia Suite. (HAHAHA!) However I'd like to say this Club Lounge experience is the WORST I have ever. Also would like to mention that WiFi is not stable. Connection is OK. But response is disaster. Need to improve immediately.

Value for $ or Rewards Club Points?
Yes (Thanks to Australia Suite!)

Would you return?
Probably. But I will not use Club Lounge.
What was going on, any explanation by hotel as to the downgrade?

It is never acceptable to assign a lower room category than booked, and certainly not to do such games with a top status, RA Elite guest.

I can live with keeping booked category w/o upgrade if hotel makes correct refund to rate 1-cat below, but downgrading a guaranteed reservation is unwarranted

I can only guess "a n other guest" wanted to make a lengthier reservation than you in that category and you got bumped downwards for financial reasons.