FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Iceland Air Saga Class – Affordable way to fly transatlantic in business class
Old Mar 17, 2016, 6:13 pm
Carfield

February 20, 2016
FI 206 CPH-KEF Lv0815 Arr1215 Boeing 757-200 Winglet TF-ISL “Öræfajökull”

Unfortunately the gate area at Keflavik’s concourse is rather crowded, and since the flights depart at banks, there are crowds everywhere. Copenhagen is definitely a popular destination for Iceland, and there are two flights departing within fifteen minutes. The earlier flight was departing from a bus gate next door, and there were just lines everywhere with confusing passengers. There were insufficient staffs to help passengers out, and people relied on each other for help. There was no priority boarding because it was simply impossible to find space. I just stood in line, as there was nowhere to sit anyway. I had two carry on bags, so wanted to board early too.

Boarding finally began at 7:53am from gate 9, and as I mentioned, it was one line for all passengers.

Sneak peak into coach cabin

Once again split Saga/Economy comfort cabin

My seat

Power outlet – works this time

Seat in recline position – I felt that the seats reclined less on this particular 757-200

Additional beverage tray

Little cutoff for bulkhead seats

Legrest for non-bulkhead seats

Pre-takeoff beverage:
Morning shot – orange and carrot juice with ginger

Bottled water

Business class cabin was actually quite empty with only me and another pair of Japanese passengers, but around 5 minutes prior to closing, a group of passengers just rushed into the business class cabin, and filled up the cabin. The Saga Class F/A was caught in surprise, as he was scrambling to accommodate everyone’s bags. I was not sure if they are operational upgrades, as I also saw a few people moving up from economy comfort. They all spoke the local language. The flight was 100% full in front and back.

Door was closed at 8:19am and we taxied to R/W11 a few minutes later. We took off at 8:32am.

Skymap worked this time, but the overhead light for my seat did not work. Unlike the new generation of Boeing airplanes, they could not replace the bulbs right the way. Thankfully sunlight came out soon, but the planes looked very warned down and poorly maintained.

Flying time was two hours and thirty-two minutes with a cruising altitude of 37,000ft. We flew pass Faroe Islands, Bryne, Fleklefjord, Aarhus, and then into CPH.

Breakfast with no choice began shortly after takeoff. There was hot towel service, but no separate beverage service. They just served you OJ during meals, and then tea and coffee afterward. Of course I presume you can order other items on demand.

Menu

Meals came like that

Good Morning shot
Orange and carrot juice with ginger

Yogurt
Bio-yogurt with raspberries and granola

Breakfast
Omelette, Served with sausages, baked cherry tomatoes, potato cubes and cheese

Bread
Croissant and sourdough bread

Chocolate

Thankfully the food was much better on this flight. At least it was filling and I particularly love the yogurt with granola. It was served in a real glass container.

Sugar packet

Tea and coffee served in paper cup

Duty free was available and I pre-order this special plane model:

Sky map working

Descent began at 11:39am Copenhagen’s local time, which is an hour ahead of Iceland.

We landed on R/W22L at 12:04pm and parked at gate B9 five minutes later.

Flying Iceland Air Saga Class is an interesting experience, and the stopover at Keflavik is pretty painful, but is convenient. No wonder it is a success among cost-conscious passengers. I am a bit turned off by the split cabin operation, which really devalues the Saga Class, but makes flying Economy Comfort a tempting option. I am glad that I flew it, but next time, I might give Norwegian my vote.

Next part is onto some intra-European flying!

Carfield