FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA reducing some checked baggage allowance tickets pchs on / after 29 Mar 2016
Old Mar 17, 2016, 9:51 am
arollins

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by ACA321
Do all that many people really use the 3rd free bag though? Obviously we have some examples here, in general, I can't imagine it making all that much of a difference to most flyers...I am not privy to airline data so I may be wrong. I for one have never even needed it, and I typically travel with professional equipment in addition to my personal items such as clothing etc.. What I find more valuable as an elite is the extra weight allowance. It allows me to consolidate my stuff into one bag, and on the rare occasion or extended trip, two.

Seems like those taking advantage of a third bag may be bringing everything plus the kitchen sink...in which case, might as well pay for it.
My thoughts exactly, some posters have mentioned that they strictly book for the 3rd baggage benefit, I can not imagine that is cheaper than coach fare and paying for the extra baggage. I might be wrong, but I have travelled to SA and Caribbean extensively and witness how much luggage people bring. SJU flights are what I call in Spanish, "tomateros" when they use boxes as luggage.