FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Poll - how many countries have you visited?
Old Sep 15, 2002, 8:53 am
russellt

I've visited 35 countries but mostly by land not by air and not counting Quebec, Kurdistan, Palestine or other disputed states.

The more important question which was touched on by mentioning a stopover should not count if all you did was land at the airport.

I'd like to see a good definition of what it really means to have been somewhere?

Here are some examples that include state and country visits:

My dad took a greyhound bus round trip in one weekend from Arkansas to the border of Maine to make his 48th continental state? (sorta sick kind of mileage run) I think this counts as a state visit because of the effort.

We drove a little out of the way to visit a few extra New England states last year and a friend in Boston told me his definition required that you took a pee in the state or the visit doesn't count.

My Cousin patrols the northern no-fly zone over Iraq. He has never landed there but I give him credit for a visit.

I think it is best to have a list of countries you have had a sufficient experience in to culturally count as a visit, and another list that you have only technically visited.

Edited for spelling mistakes. Hope I got them all.

[This message has been edited by russellt (edited 09-15-2002).]

[This message has been edited by russellt (edited 09-15-2002).]