FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Farelock - Questions/Answers/Experiences {Archive}
Old Mar 16, 2016, 1:46 pm
emcampbe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Have a farelock (and I guess, also other) questions that I don't know the answer to, so hoping someone can help.

Have a farelock right now - CVG-PHX return, for me and the wife. I may need to travel back separately....as I may need to go back to Toronto first, while she would head back home (we'd both fly the first segment back to DEN together, then split off from there).

I know I can't change the flights that have been farelocked to different ones, but can I split myself off, and only purchase the ticket for my wife? Or do I need to buy it for both of us? If the latter, I assume I could at least split right after purchase, and then cancel mine within 24 hours.

Another possibility: If I want to keep us on the same reservation on the outbound (many reasons why this would be preferred), since those will still be the same, is it possible to just purchase the outbound, and cancel the returns (then book those separately)? This is hypothetical at the moment - both the outbound and return were available on the lower fares (G outbound, K inbound) booked as one way's, though looks like the return flights for my wife went up to a Q as a one way now (ouch!), so I'd rather see if that comes back down. I'm thinking I could either call to see if an agent is able to do that, or book everything, then see if I could change within 24 hours to cancel the return segments - is that possible under the 24 hour flexible policy (I think it is), and can I do this online, or do I need to call in?