FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New to QR, would like to fly F and J.
View Single Post
Old Mar 16, 2016, 6:05 am
msm2000uk
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by TheFlyingDJ
...MSM will weigh in on this once he wakes up, but F is only on LHR/CDG/BKK-DOH as far as I know... ....
Lol thanks for that Mr S

Originally Posted by startpacking
...Is there a significant difference in the J product on the A350, A380 and 787? Which of these aircraft is best for J?

What are the best times (of day) to use the lounge in Doha? I'd check in super early and explore both the J and F lounges as I'd depart Doha on an F ticket? Do the food offerings/liquor, etc change throughout the day? How long do you recommend in each lounge?

What are the best routes to take the A350? I've never been on the aircraft and wouldn't mind going out of my way to fly on it. I am aware that there can be possible equipment changes and I am looking at booking for next year, so things can change.

What does QR give in their amenity kit that can't be taken in a carry on (ie, liquid/gel products). If I fly to CDG, I'd prefer to connect later the same day to LON which means I'd need to take the amenity kit in my carry on.

Any advice will be appreciated.
In terms of the J product, as TheFlyingDJ has said, there are minimal differences. The key difference, and I use that word loosely, is the size of the cabin. J on the 787 feels far more intimate than on the A350 or A380. The latter can feel like a dormitory, but it does have the benefit of a proper bar (opposed to simply a small table area as on the 787 and A350).

With regards to the lounges, the Al Mourjan is busiest between 22:00-02:00 and then from 05:00-08:00. The Al Safwa is similar in terms of when it is busiest, but there are so many different parts that you'll always find somewhere to sit down.

The food changes throughout the day, with Lunch and Dinner probably being the best options. However, the lounge kitchens are not permitted to use a naked-flame, so most of the food is cooked off-site and reheated. Remember, this is an airport lounge and nothing else. As such, I would therefore recommend no longer than about 2 hours in the Al Mourjan, and 3 hours in the Al Safwa. Anymore than that, and you'll be horribly bored! It's worth bearing in mind that Doha is quite a nice airport to wander round, and its big enough to easily walk 5km if you fancy it.

With regards to QR aircraft switches, the A350 is a regular on the DOH-SIN-DOH route, so I would stick to that if you want to try it. However, as I have said multiple times before, never book a trip purely to experience an aircraft.

Furthermore, it is worth checking the flight times for your F flights. If you are looking at DOH-CDG in F (on the A380), then you'll be considering the morning departure. As such, the onboard meal will be breakfast with a 'light option' served before landing. Menu's have been uploaded (by me), and I will add the 'Summer Options' when I travel on the route in April.

In terms of liquids from the amentity kit, CDG are very hot on this matter, and so you will need to ensure the liquids fit into your transparent plastic bag. Furthermore, bear in mind that you will need to transfer from T1 to T2A at CDG. If you have more than 90mins, you'll be fine (aslong as no checked-baggage). Any tighter than that, and I'd recommend a private transfer service. I use one, which easily saves me 60mins, and I dont find the cost excessive.

Hopefully my comments answer your queries, and clarify a few of your further questions in your second post.

Safe travels,

M