FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New 777 J seat announced
View Single Post
Old Mar 10, 2016, 8:36 am
PremiumTraveller

Programs: EK Platinum, QR Gold, Etihad Silver
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
No *people* need to wake up... You want cheaper J fares? Then you'll need to put up with a flat bed, nice food & champagne and great entertainment in a 2x3x2 layout.

OK, you can move on to use other carriers if you want. But why hasn't this happened so far? EK know they have a quite loyal following who appear to be quite happy with the current product. So, why change?

If, in 2 or 3 years time, loads start to drop off, I'm sure EK will re-consider. The new J seat isn't costing them anything (no retro-fit), so they could bring a new seat/layout if necessary in the future.
Well you do make a point on EK's chain of thought, but people do change when competition offers a better overall experience. I speak for myself, I've found flying EY or QR much better in terms of service and hard product and I've found few of my fellow EK PLAT members echoing the same thing!

I don't understand of the logic whereby EK looks to 'allow' loyal customers to divert their revenue to rival carriers due to sub par evolution.

Who knows, maybe EK loyalty comes from their A380 so people 'put up' with onward B777 angled lie flat seats. I spoke to my TA about this and he did mention that EY and QR are gaining momentum. Revenues may not slump today, but I'm sure it will in the not so distant future.