FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Wasted Points/Money in J with kids?
View Single Post
Old Mar 10, 2016, 3:50 am
LTN Phobia
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
I have been on both ends of the crying babys issue. We had micro DUF cry non stop in J from NRT-SYD on an overnight flight at the age of 1. We tried every trick in the book, nothing worked. We were stressed out of our minds.

At the same time I just had a flight on NZ with a crying 3 year old who was very disruptive and the parents didn't do much to help. So I had to decide what was more annoying, the child or the "service dog" which was with them.
I think it's all about the intent - if the parents are making an effort, people tend to be much more understanding and nicer (and some would even try to help) because they can see that they're trying, even if they aren't successful.

It's when the parents just don't care/ignore what their children are doing that it becomes incredibly irritating, as well as adults who don't care about others.

I sadly encounter the latter far more than the former in premium cabins (and interestingly more of the former in non-premium cabins!). It's when there are multiple disruptive people (children included) who don't care about others (or parents who don't care) and make no effort to control the situation that becomes really disruptive on the long flights, because you just don't get a break from it.

To be honest I don't find crying babies to be too bad although I feel very sorry for them - if they are not consolable something is really bothering them, most likely pain in their ear or tummy because of the pressure. Young babies can't make themselves comfortable.

It's the screaming, tantrum-throwing toddlers running around the cabin screaming, and some even bashing passengers as they tear around the cabin, and parents not doing anything to stop them, that bothers me.