FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Points Guy: We never accept free flights [merged TPG discussions]
Old Mar 7, 2016, 11:00 am
TheBOSman
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by Raffles
The rumoured sale price for the site, which I was told by an industry exec, was $15m so easily seven figures.

You think seven figures is a lot but it isn't. Assuming $100 average card commission you only need 30 applications per day.

Put another way ..... TPG, on his readership numbers, would make $1m per year from Google Adsense alone if he bothered to put it up - which he doesn't. That is based on a direct extrapolation of my Adsense income to his.
I think the original poster was saying that Brian makes seven figures a year.

I was saying that The Points Guy website definitely has revenue of seven figures a year (especially if sold for $15M, would indicate annual revenue ballpark figure of $1.5-2M), but I don't know if Brian makes seven figures a year himself from the website, after paying hosting fees/bandwidth/contributor payments/advertising/paid airfare for reviews/etc.

But I'm sure he does quite alright. I doubt he's out in line at Walmart or elsewhere every day doing manufactured spend just to try to get more miles. And I'm not too concerned about whether he makes $500k, $1M, or whatever per year. I'm sure he does well, and he surely has that website sale amount in his back pocket anyway.