FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - B77W and A380 watch: second-hand frames
View Single Post
Old Mar 7, 2016, 6:29 am
TheSafariMan

Programs: BA Silver; SPG Gold; UA; DL; AA
Originally Posted by Flying Doctor
Hi there,
So I think you have hit on some interesting ideas.
BOS - there are 2 flights on top of one another now since AA pulled out of the route and BA took over an extra flight. The A380 would work well there (much as it does to IAD).
JNB - South African routes especially in peak season are always rammed in every class so yet could work. The only down side is that the frames are parked in JNB for several hours.
CPT - similarly in peak season CPT could easily handle an A380 as it is a route that is heavy in all classes. However, the airport cannot (yet) handle an A380. There was talk of EK wanting to send an A380 down there which would necessitate changing some of the gates and if that happens it might yet end up there in the South African Summer Season.
HKG - Premium heavy but the issue is that its often quite empty in Y/W which is a problem.
HND - I really don't know if it can take it but suspect if there is the requirement for infrastructure change there will be resistance to try to keep traffic at least in part through NRT.
MEX - again heavy in all classes and could be used but I doubt that the airport can yet handle an A380.
GRU - same as MEX. AF wanted to send an A380 down there but couldn't do it as there is not the infrastructure changes to allow this.
NBO - one of the most profitable routes in the network. Would just fill overnight with an A380 but can you imagine the fun and games - they struggle enough with a 747-400 as it is.......

So I guess the bottom line is that the A380 could be used on quite a few more routes but for a lot of them the infrastructure is not there. This of course will probably change over time (and indeed this was exactly the same issue in the early 70's with the 747-100 where most airports could not cope) but won't be that quick and also for some of these airports they want to at least protect the local carrier a bit and allowing in the A380 with its huge capacity does the exact opposite.......

FD.
Hah, NBO would be hilarious trying to both load and unload an A380... They don't even have to deal with the 744 from BA on that route anymore, the 772s are challenge enough! that's my usual flight so I'd personally LOVE a new aircraft (even a 773 or 787) just for some updated IFE. I think I've had the nicer Thales ONCE on that route...

I'd approve either JNB or CPT - those are my other big routes, but somehow have yet to get onto the A380 flights there...