FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A new tipping concept: tipping on amount of time waiter spends on you
Old Mar 6, 2016, 5:20 pm
Kevin AA
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by WillCAD
Nice thought, but it doesn't work well.

I used to leave cards at restaurant tables when I left. They had rules printed on them - on the front were four simple rules for getting a good tip, and on the back were four simple rules for being a good patron. To me, these rules simply clarified my position and got everyone on the same page.

But the reaction from most people who saw the cards was negative. "HOW RUDE!" "Well, that's pretty condescending!" and "You're a jerk!" were the most common responses I got. Of course, most people never noticed the back side of the cards, with the rules for patrons - they only thought I was giving a bunch of crap to servers.
I'm not surprised. [Redacted]

Originally Posted by CMK10
I work in a restaurant, the work is paying for me to get my J.D. Most of my coworkers are undergraduates, the work is paying for them to get their college degrees. None of us are greedy and entitled, we're simply people trying to improve our education and other skills.

Please don't dine in our restaurant.
So if I were a server with a goal of amassing $10 million in the bank, would I be justified in being a massive tip whore?

What you don't understand is that the wage you receive is commensurate with the type of work you do. What you plan to do with the earnings or what your future endeavors are is completely irrelevant.

Last edited by cblaisd; Mar 6, 2016 at 6:14 pm Reason: merged poster's two consecutive posts; removed unecessarily personalized remarks.