FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A new tipping concept: tipping on amount of time waiter spends on you
Old Mar 5, 2016, 6:49 am
WillCAD

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by TheTakeOffRush
Anyone on this thread ever mention to your waiter exactly what criteria you're looking for to issue your tip %?

Pros:
+ everyone is on the same page
+ encourage quality service

Cons:
- unusual practice
- requires clarity of thought & communication

e.g.:
10% food cold or not as ordered, drinks left emptied
15% hot food, drinks refilled/offered again, no interruptions
25% (above) + frank personal recommendation + asked how quickly would like bill after last course served
Nice thought, but it doesn't work well.

I used to leave cards at restaurant tables when I left. They had rules printed on them - on the front were four simple rules for getting a good tip, and on the back were four simple rules for being a good patron. To me, these rules simply clarified my position and got everyone on the same page.

But the reaction from most people who saw the cards was negative. "HOW RUDE!" "Well, that's pretty condescending!" and "You're a jerk!" were the most common responses I got. Of course, most people never noticed the back side of the cards, with the rules for patrons - they only thought I was giving a bunch of crap to servers.

Originally Posted by WillCAD
WillCAD's Four Simple Rules for Serving Me and Getting A Good Tip:

1. Don't let me see the bottom of my glass!
Bringing new sodas is the easiest part of the job, and I don't go through a glass of soda that quickly. If my glass goes empty and stays that way for more than a few minutes, the tip begins to erode quickly.

2. LOOK AT ME!
Every five minutes or so, as you pass by my table, just look over at me so I can get your attention if I need something. I don't expect you to ask me "Everything okay can I get you anything how's your food are you having a good time didja see Survivor the other night?" every five minutes, but a simple glance in my direction periodically would enable me to raise my soda glass to motion for a refill, or make a signing motion to ask for the check, or wave you over if I have a question.

3. Be polite and just a little cheerful.
You don't have to kiss my butt or pretend to be my best friend, and you don't have to act like you won the lottery to have me as your customer - just don't act like your dog died when you take my order. And impatient, surly, and argumentative is no way to go though life, son. Well, it is for me, but not when I'm dealing with a client/customer/general public.

4. Make it right.
If you make a minor mistake, or the kitchen screws up my food, I don't expect you to act like you just shot Old Yeller. Forget the sackcloth and ashes routine, just say, "I'm sorry, I'll take care of that" and take care of that. Actions speak way louder than words. Ignoring it or getting grumpy when I point out something wrong is the fastest way to get a lousy tip from me - or none at all.

And most importantly, have a nice day!

Originally Posted by WillCAD
WillCAD's Four Simple Rules for Being a Good Restaurant Patron:

1. Keep it clean!
Somebody has to clean up any mess you make after you leave, and they don't get paid enough to deal with your garbage. So unless your server is Mike Rowe, have a little consideration, ya slob, and don't leave piles of chicken bones or puddles of soup, soda, or pancake syrup all over the table.

2. Keep it simple!
Servers aren't telepathic - they don't know what you WANT, they only know what you SAY. So do everybody a favor and actually read your menu and decide what you want to order before the server asks you - and then convey your order in short, simple, coherent sentences. They ain't Creskin; if they give you the wrong thing because you babbled your order in incomprehensible gibberish, it's YOUR fault, not theirs.

3. Treat them with respect!
The lowest, most despicable person on Earth is the person who thinks that a server, bartender, bellhop, painter, ditch-digger, toilet scrubber, or other person in a manual-labor job is somehow "beneath" notice and not worthy of respect. I SPIT on all those who would treat a service person like a second-class citizen! Ptooey!

4. Reward them according to their merits.
Hey, if that server did their job as they were supposed to do it, then give them a proper tip! They bust their butts to give you a nice, enjoyable, pleasant meal, and they deserve commensurate compensation for their work. If they did an OUTSTANDING job, don't just leave a few bucks on the table, TELL them that they did an outstanding job. After all, everybody can use a compliment now and then, right? And if they did a REALLY OUTSTANDING job, tell the manager - a few compliments can help out on the server's yearly reviews and salary evaluations! Wouldn't you like to get a nice raise if you did a great job?

4A. If it ain't their fault, don't blame them!
If the kitchen is a shambles, or it took a long time to get seated, or the table next to you was loud and obnoxious all night, don't use that flimsy excuse to leave a crappy tip - none of that is the server's fault. Hold them responsible only for their own actions, just as you should be held responsible only for your own.

And most importantly, have a nice day!