FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - suite usage 2 -> 3 people (Additional charge appropriate?)
Old Mar 4, 2016, 6:25 am
NYTA

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
Please excuse me for being a very direct. I am really amazed about a certain attitude that everything needs to be done the same way as it is done in someone's homeplace.

In plenty places in Europe hotels are used to charge by the number of persons in a room. This might be logical or might not be logical but it is the contractual reality.

If you go to Rome you need to do as the Romans do. If you go to Europe you need to play according to the rules we have in Europe.

If I go to the United States I need to tip each and everybody, I need to pay insane taxes on my room rate imposed by federal, state and local government. In addition to such tips I am expected to pay service charges hidden in the fine print of the menu. I however do so because I am aware that it is the local rule or custom. In my world and my reality, this is absolutely insane and absolutely iillogical. I do however do not breach the local rules.

The local rule in Europe - if such common local rule exists - says that a room that is contracted for two persons is meant to be occupied by two persons. You may decide not to follow the rules and to avoid telling the hotel that you host more than two persons. You need however to be aware that you are not only playing unfair but that you are breaching your contract.

The number "two" is as clear as it can be. You might decide not to follow that rule. You might however except, that not everybody follows that approach
Emphasis on "if such common local rule exists". Under your theory if I book a room for one and then someone else joins me in the room, am I not following the rules, or is the limitation only from two to three? As someone who clearly spends a lot of time in Germany (as do I), I'm sure you can appreciate the local German custom of privacy. If I have paid for my room, who I bring there with me should not be any of the hotel's business as long as I'm not doing anything illegal (i.e. exceeding occupancy codes for fire or other illegal activities).