FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Central/South America for 10-12 months, start May 2016...which direction!?
Old Mar 2, 2016, 9:06 am
EstebanMarley

Central/South America for 10-12 months, start May 2016...which direction!?

Hola!!!

My name is Stefan, 33 and will start my Latin / South America pretty soon. Some will be surprised, but yes, my travelling route is still not fixed

I will start end of April going to Mexiko, visiting a friend and then for 4-5 weeks to Guatemala to attend a Spanish Course as language is the key to the people, I understand that.

My goal is spending long time in Central and (North) of South America and hopefully I love it so much to come back and work there for some months/years. So the goal is to get in touch with the locals and understand why expats chose to live here or there.

It should be a mix of travelling, volunteering and working (workaway.info).

Basically I wanted to travel from North to South, but I checked several homepages about the weather (recommended and not recommended time to visit) and there starts my dilemma...

Seems as I spend exactly the time in the countries where it is NOT recommended to visit (rain season)...

My rough plan:
May to September in CA (because I start in MEX; GUAT)
October to Feb/April in South America (Columbia, Ecuador & Peru)

But I want to enjoy my trip and don't want to care about closed roads and stuff due to heavy rain, so I wanted to know from some experts what your opinion is on that...should I go down south after MEX/GUAT and then travel back north!?

According to the recommendations it would make sense, so I would definitely spend more time in the green zones (recommended time) than in the red zones (not recommended time)...

Here my trip in Detail if someone wants to check out:

North to South:
http://weltreise-info.de/route/reise...pe-w/2,pe-e/14

South to North:
http://weltreise-info.de/route/reise...x-s/6,mx-n/4Ho

Hoping you can help me out to enjoy probably the trip of my lifetime!
Wish all fun travelling!
THANKS!

Stefan