FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Barging In Italy from CA/OR any advice? I'm newbie
Old Jan 28, 2004, 11:59 pm
magexpect
In Memoriam

Programs: Executive Club Gold/Frequence Plus Red
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by familytravler:

1- trying to decide between France and Ireland.

2- Ease of getting around off the barge is important as we are traveling with kids age 3.5 and 1.

3-Wanting to visit older, small villages instead of modern cities. Enjoy culture and architecture. love castles.

4-am I correct in thinking that it was not built up along canals

5- April or May

6- anyone know about safety aboard re: my little ones.

7- Is there a rail around the boat?
</font>
1.- At this time of year France is the best bet although in each country the season usually starts in June.

2- You are right. Canals run in France through villages and towns so you can almost stop right in front of the bakery if you wish. In Ireland the rental of a bike is important to go shopping or to the pub...

3-/4- France again, the castles and places of interest in Ireland are on hills, far from canal. In france there is much more to see right from the boat.

5- Ireland maybe quite cold at this time of year, France the same. In Europe April weather says it all: you can go from beautiful weather to snow. Can you postpone at least a month for either destination?
If you can't, the only place I can suggest for guaranteed weather is the southwest. The Midi region with Carcassonne as the main point of sightseeing. Camargue may be nice but wind conditions can be awsome.

6- There is a railing along the boat but at such an age an additional net that you can hang to the railing would even be better, even a must! They are available at specialized shops and do not cost much. Don't ever leave your kids for a second unattended!!!

If more answers needed, just post them.