FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - She Was Asked to Switch Seats. Now She's Charging El Al With Sexism
Old Mar 1, 2016, 5:18 am
yosithezet
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by shuly
I get worked up because discrimination, in my mind, is morally wrong. Public transportation should, in my view, be open for all. Every individual is free to hold whatever discriminatory views she or he wishes, but providers of public transportation should not, in my view, discriminate. If you wish not to be seated next to persons of a particular gender, race, religion or whatever, buy the seat next to you or walk/bike.
I understand and your examples are valid. And like Dovsters example, I guess nobody would have any issues with the man choosing to move. I mean we don't think he is right headed, but his choice.

But in society we seem to make all sorts of adjustments to cater to religious feelings. Lack of public transportation in Israel on Shabbt. Heck, lack of EL AL flights. I grew up in a public school that I suspect still serves fish or cheese pizza on Fridays. If an airline stopped providing kosher meals would find that discriminatory? Or would we say, "Well, if the person wants kosher they should walk or bring their own TSA-safe food!"?

NTYA says he was asked to move and he declined. So the practice of EL AL isn't to move people but to ask if they would be willing to move. If they decline, they move on, usually?

I'm not Orthodox and my experiences would be much more similar to those of Dovster, and my politics more aligned with Anat Hoffman, but I find it odd that this is a specific realm that we find it offensive to cater to religious sensitivities.