FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Feb 27, 2016, 4:04 pm
WHBM

Programs: BA
Perhaps, indeed. I have a postcard of a 747 wearing a hybrid Aer Lingus/Air Jamaica livery. Ugly airplane. I would love to have seen it wearing only the Air Jamaica livery but unfortunately that never happened.
They leased an Aer Lingus 747 for a few months (so not worth proper repainting) over the winter 86-87, when that had to go back they got one from Tower Air, which lasted through the following winter. These were the only 747 operations Air Jamaica had. The aircraft would have operated with crews from the supplying airline.

I don't see they ever operated the L1011 Tristar themselves, but they did a lot of leasing-in over time. Wonder who did it for them. All-economy looks like a charter-configured aircraft. American Trans Air maybe ?

But was that the last domestic scheduled flight in the British Isles that required a flight engineer and a 3-man crew ? No, there was one other route that continued so, for quite some years afterwards. So, bonus question, which service was that.

Was this possibly operated with a Trident? Perhaps BEA's last flight with the type...
No, the last Trident ran in 1985, a nice little finale where the last two aircraft in the fleet touched down absolutely simultaneously on the two parallel runways at Heathrow, one an enthusiast's final charter and the other from Manchester. Furthermore the Trident had a crew of three but didn't have a flight engineer, all three were pilots, something from BEA days. No, that last domestic operation had proper flight engineers. A bit of a clue, the aircraft involved has been mentioned in recent posts here.