FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 2:40 pm
LWT3

My wife is no longer getting auto-approvals

This is going to be less of a concern going forward now that the ability to churn rapidly appears to be coming to an end, but I'm wondering if anyone has any theories to explain this.

My wife and I have churned many, many, many Citi cards of various flavors over the past 2+ years. We've always applied for the same cards at the same time, have the same household income obviously, and nearly identical FICO scores. The only difference between us is length of credit history.

Up until last August, we both got auto approved every time. Since then, I have continued to get auto-approved every time, but my wife's apps always require additional processing ("We are currently processing your application and will be in touch within 1 week"). After that delay, she always gets approved with the same CL I receive, but we always have to wait for whatever extra processing Citi has decided her apps now require. It's not a big deal, but it's odd, and I wonder what might have triggered the change.

I wonder if the Flyertalk community has seen this or has any theories to explain it.