FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Feb 27, 2016, 11:45 am
Seat 2A
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
57. In 1987 there were three cities in the state of Nevada that benefitted from scheduled jet flights. Identify the three cities and the single airline that served all three of them.

The airline was Royal West. It served LAS, RNO & EKO with a fleet of BAe-146 aircraft as well as a single 727-51 leased from Pacific Interstate Airlines (Picture HERE) Las Vegas and Reno saw service from a variety of predominantly Pacific coastal cities. Elko was served via a single daily nonstop from Las Vegas.

Ah, but was this LAS-EKO flight operated with a 727 or 146? And out of curiosity, what month was this in 1987? BTW, I remember seeing a Royal West 146 at BUR back in the day being readied for departure to LAS.

I must admit to holding back a bit on this answer because I saw potential for some future questions, so I kept it to the basics. Suffice it to say that The LAS-EKO flight was operated by the 146. So far as I can tell, the 727 was used only between LAX, LAS and JFK. The OAG is from the first half of 1987.

Here's the schedule on Las Vegas to Elko r/t:

YM 151 LAS-EKO 745p - 900p 146 Daily
YM 511 EKO-LAS 1100a - 1220p 146 Daily

That's quite a long layover in little Elko. I can't find any evidence of scheduled flights with YM into/out of there besides these though...

82. Per the 1987 schedule I reference for these questions, one airline operated three different types of widebody jets - each built by a different manufacturer - into Montego Bay, Jamaica. Identify that airline and the three types it operated into MBJ.

Well, what the heck......here's yet another wild guess: Pan Am operating A300, B747 and L-1011 aircraft.

I like it - except the L15. I'm not so sure that PA ever operated those in the Caribbean... did they?

In any event, given a full sized L-1011, you've got all the aircraft right but the wrong airline. Which one izzit?!

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 27, 2016 at 2:31 pm